If you’re on a weight loss program, say like the General Motors diet or any other diet for that matter, you’ll need to consume enough water everyday.
It helps in flushing out harmful toxins from your body, thus maximizing the weight loss results.
But, many dieters get confused about the amount of water they should drink per day to lose weight. Well, in this article, let us discuss the logic behind drinking water for weight loss and the number of liters should a person drink on an average per day.
Does Drinking Water Help in Losing Weight?
It is a well-known fact that out of the overall human body weight, almost 66% of it is water. Consuming enough quantity of water per day helps in flushing out the impurities out of the body, thus letting you lose the water weight too.
Drinking water 30 minutes before any meal helps you eat less. However, it is advised not to drink water beyond the recommended level (too much) as it causes an imbalance in the salt content of your body. Even the potassium levels get disturbed, thereby leading to nausea, fatigue, vomiting and headache.
So, what is the ideal amount of water to drink a day to get rid of excess weight? Read to find out.
How Many Liters of Water Should You Drink per Day to Lose Weight?
The diet experts always recommend the 8 x 8 rule i.e., 8 glasses of 8 ounces water should be drunk by an average individual, which equals 2 liters of water. However, as per the researchers, it is said that we should drink 4 litres of water every day for best results. Of-course, the main reason why they suggest this number is because of the several factors that are to be considered like body type, fitness levels, diet and sleep patterns.
People who generally perform workouts should drink enough water both before and after their GYM session in order to stay hydrated. It should be noted that dehydration causes dizziness and headaches. If you’re not comfortable with drinking lots of plain water, you may consider consuming fruit or vegetable juices (cucumbers, oranges, tomatoes, peaches, watermelons etc…) as they contain water too.
Follow the below illustrated calculation to find out how much water you should drink every day to reach your weight loss target.
Like the calorie burn principle, which states that the number of calories burned per hour differs from one individual to another depending on the person’s weight. The general thumb rule is that you’ll burn more calories if you’re heavier. And likewise, you should drink more water if you’re heavier.
To find the quantity of water you should consume per day based on your weight, simply multiply your weight in pounds by 2/3.
For example, if you weigh 95 Kgs, then you should multiply 95 Kgs in pounds, which is 95 x 2.20 (1 kg = 2.20 pounds) by 2/3.
That means, 209 pounds x 2/3 = ~ 139 ounces/4 liters of water (1 liter = 33.8 ounces) every day.
And if you’re into daily workouts, then you should add another 12 ounces of water to the total liters of water to achieve the ideal quantity.
Helpful Tips to Drink Water for Better Weight Loss Results:
- Whatever the diet you’re following, it may be IF diet, 3 day military diet, make sure to drink water even when you’re not thirsty. When you feel thirsty, it means that your internal organs have sent a signal to the brain saying that you’re dehydrated. And hence, it is highly recommended to drink water in little quantities throughout the day.
- In case if you wanted an automatic reminder, then you may install apps like Hydro coach, Water your body.
- Just sip water before, after or even in the middle of your workout session to stay hydrated.
- It is recommended to start your day with 2 to 3 glasses of warm water in the morning. You may add lemon and honey for additional weight loss benefits.
- Drinking 1 or 2 glasses of water just 30 minutes before any meal would help you eat less.
- Don’t like the plain water, then consider adding mint, cucumber, lemon or any citrus fruits to enhance the flavor.
- Whenever hunger pangs strike you while on the diet, simply pick up a water bottle and drink it. Avoid any cold beverages (cool drinks, alcohol, etc…) at any cost.
Well, these are just a few tips that help you drink enough water every day. Hope you understood the logic behind drinking water for weight loss benefits. So, what are you waiting for? Grab a water bottle immediately and drink your way to better health.