I’m not exaggerating, but it is really true that our Indian yellow spice ‘Turmeric’ is an effective remedy for weight loss and it has been used by the ancient Indians in order to cure several diseases naturally. The liver is the most essential part that does the job of fat burning, which is critical to weight loss. If it is damaged, the detoxification process takes a dive and you gain weight.
The Turmeric plays a vital role in detoxifying the liver, thereby enabling it to do its task of burning fat. The curcumin in turmeric plays an important role in fastening the capsaicin receptors as well as increasing the thermogenesis rates, both are necessary to burn fat.
Also see: How to use Triphala for Weight Loss?
Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric can be vastly used by the people in India, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, China, Morocco and many other Asian countries. Mostly, people knew it as a spice that is used in the dishes to bring flavor and color. But, there are a variety of health benefits of using Turmeric in our diet routine and below are a few.
- The ‘curcumin’ in turmeric reduces the LDL or bad cholesterol.
- Thanks to its anti-inflammatory nature, it helps in treating conditions like Arthritis and severe joint pains. Surprisingly, there are no side effects associated with this spice unlike the Anti-inflammatory drugs prescribed by doctors.
- You can speed up the healing process of any injury simply by using the Turmeric powder, all thanks to its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties.
- It is the perfect gift of the nature to the humans. You can improve your immunity system by including Turmeric in your diet.
- It is also found that Turmeric helps fight against few types of cancer like melanoma and breast cancer.
- The Chinese have been using the turmeric as a natural anti-depressant drug for many years now.
- Because of our improper or poor eating habits, our liver stores a lot of toxins. You can easily remove them by using this natural yellow spice.
- According a study, it is found that the Turmeric contains some chemicals that protect the humans against the Alzheimer’s disease.
What is the Daily Recommended Dosage of Turmeric?
Although, the spice Turmeric is very healthy and natural, you’ll need to be careful not to take the consumption to extreme levels. The daily recommended consumption of fresh root should be limited to 1.5 to 3g per day, while the powdered Turmeric root should be limited to 1 to 3 grams per day. If you prefer to take the Turmeric supplements, then don’t exceed the limit of 400-600 mg, 3 times per day (source: University of Maryland Medical Center).
P.S: I personally don’t suggest the supplements as they’re not always safe. Try to get the organic turmeric powder if possible.
Who Should Not Use Turmeric?
The spice ‘Turmeric’ is a natural and safe to consume as a food, but there are few cases where it is not allowed to consume. Excess usage of Turmeric may cause nausea, indigestion, diarrhea or dizziness.
- The consumption of turmeric should be stopped 2 weeks prior to any surgical procedure. This is because the turmeric when combined with medications or supplements brings down (slows) the blood clotting.
- People with diabetes, gallbladder problems, pregnant and breastfeeding women are suggested to stay away from taking Turmeric as you like. It is advised to consult your doctor to suggest the right dosage for your specific condition.
How Does Turmeric Help in Weight Loss?
Generally, people tend to gain weight by two ways – excess growth of fat cells (size) and excess multiplication of fat cells (number). If you can encounter these two issues successfully, you’ll be able to lose weight naturally. Most people think of the Turmeric as a dietary supplement and an ingredient to bring color and flavor to foods. But, it is rich in ‘Curcumin’, which helps in reducing the blood flow to the fat cells (adipocytes), thereby inhibiting the cell division. So, when the fresh blood stops sending any nutrients, the fat cells stop growing in number.
Turmeric also helps in regulating sugar levels and thereby preventing sudden insulin hikes, thereby avoiding any excess fat storage by your body. You can also improve your digestion and boost the metabolism by including the turmeric in your diet. Do note that improper digestion and poor metabolism make a person to put on weight.
How to use Turmeric for Weight Loss?
Turmeric root can be used as it is or grounded to make a powder. Generally, Indians use the turmeric powder in almost all the traditional dishes, as they believe it brings taste and color to the foods. Surprisingly, it also comes along with several health benefits such as those mentioned above. Let us see how to use the turmeric spice to lose weight naturally.
A] Add Turmeric Powder as an Ingredient in Dishes
This is the best way to include turmeric in your diet regularly. Yes! You can add turmeric to almost any dish that you prepare at home. It not only brings taste and color, but also boosts your metabolism, reduces bad cholesterol (LDL), thereby help you lose weight naturally. However, don’t add too much of Turmeric as anything excess is not healthy. Just a ½ to 1 teaspoon is enough per dish.
Saying so, you can also add Turmeric to the soups for better weight loss results.
B] Prepare Slimming Herbal Teas using Turmeric
This is the second method and a superb way to incorporate the turmeric habit in your lifestyle.
i] Ginger & Turmeric Tea
There are many ways to prepare a turmeric tea, but what I show below is a wonderful home remedy to treat all kinds of inflammation along with burning fat.
Ingredients: Ginger (1/2 inch piece), Turmeric Root (1 inch), Water (150 ml), Cinnamon Sticks (3-4).
Preparation: In a bowl of water, add the turmeric and ginger roots. Let the water boil for 5 minutes or until the flavor of the roots is dissolved in the water (see the thick color). Next, add the cinnamon and brown sugar (your choice). Let it boil for another 2 minutes and serve hot (after filtering).
ii] Milk & Turmeric Drink
Although, not many knew it from a health perspective, it is one of the most followed healthy practices in India. Adding a pinch of Turmeric (1/2 teaspoon) powder to a glass of warm milk helps in boosting your metabolism as well as gives you a good night’s sleep if you drink it 30 minutes before going to bed.
iii] Turmeric & Green Tea
Prepare the Green tea like you normally do and mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to the tea and drink it. Another way is to add the turmeric root while boiling the water. This gives you an even better taste.
Not just these, there are many more ways you can include Turmeric in your diet in order to lose weight and also to reap in maximum health benefits of this wonderful yellow spice.