However, to get faster weight loss results, it is advised to practice some exercises along with the 7 day diet plan.
A lot of people have many doubts regarding the GM Diet Exercises, like what workouts should be followed while on the diet. So, in this article, we’ll be discussing about all those queries in detail.
Is Exercise Required During the GM Diet?
Of-course, yes! Although, working out doesn’t burn more calories than diet, it helps in building muscle, which could improve your metabolism, thereby speeding up your fat burn rate.
But, remember that you should not follow any strenuous exercises during the first 3 days of the diet, as you’ll have less energy/strength due to the extremely low calorie consumption.
However, you can practice regular cardio workouts or strength training exercises from the day 4 GM diet onward.
GM Diet Exercises for Day 1 to 7
A] Yoga for Weight Loss at Home
Yoga is the best way to maintain the lost weight for the long term. It is an ancient Indian art form where the rushis have embedded the scientific moves in the traditional Yoga poses aka Yogasanas. Let us now look at the different Yoga moves that help you lose weight in the comfort of your home.
This particular yoga pose will help in tightening the muscles, toning your legs and strengthening your overall body. Here is how you can practice this warrior pose.
- Stand with one of your legs stretched backwards and the other leg stretched forward.
- Stretch your hands above your head in a ‘Namaste’ posture and turn your upper body to your right side.
- You should bend your right knee slightly while stretching your abdominal muscles.
- Once done, switch the sides and repeat the entire routine. This warrior pose can be done as long as you’re comfortable.
Target Area: Tummy and Legs
#2.Yoga Warrior Pose 2 (Virabhadrasana)
This second warrior pose is almost similar to that of the first one, except a few changes. In this pose, you won’t be making a Namaste sign. You’ll have to stretch your hands to both the sides, while bending your legs like the first warrior pose.
Target Area: This yoga move, like the first one will help you lose the excess fat stored in your tummy and leg region.
This particular chair pose yogasana requires a lot of stamina, as it is practiced in the air, assuming there is a chair beneath you.
- Stand with your feet closed to each other.
- Raise both your hands above the head while inhaling.
- At the same time, bend your knees a little, like you’re sitting in a chair.
- Stay in this position for at least 1 minute.
- Get back to the standing position and relax.
For beginners, this yoga asana will be very difficult to practice. But with time, it will become easier. So, in the beginning, try to stay in this position for 5 to 10 seconds (or as long as you can hold). This pose can be practiced 10 times every day, which can be increased for every 3 days, based on your stamina.
Target Area: from Thighs and Tummy.
#4.Warrior Sequence (Warrior Pose 1, 2 and Chair Pose)
This boat pose is particularly known to increase stamina and at the same time reduce abdominal or tummy fat. Apart from burning fat stored in the tummy region, it also strengthens your lower and upper body.
- Sleep on your back on a Yoga mat.
- Slowly raise both your legs in the upward direction up till 45 degree angle. Don’t forget to inhale while lifting your feet. Note that you should not bend your knees.
- Now, lift your upper body in an attempt to touch your lifted legs. This forms a ‘V’ shape. Note that your arms should be raised to the level of your shoulders.
Stay in this position for as long as you’re able to hold. You’ll feel a lot of vibrations in your tummy when you perform this pose. It means that the muscles are being active and burning fat.
Target Area: Reduces tummy fat and strengthens upper + lower body.
#6.Naukasana (The Boat Pose) by Shilpa Shetty
- Lay back on the ground, with your knees bent and feet touching the ground.
- Put your hands on the ground, with your palms touching the ground downwards.
- Next, lift your hips away from the ground in a way that you’ve to balance your whole weight using just your hands and feet.
This particular yoga pose will strengthen your muscle. If you want to take the strain further, you can lift one leg in the mid-air for around 20 seconds and repeat the same with the other leg. This will give you maximum benefits from this particular asana.
Target Area: Muscles
#8.Bridge Pose (Setubandhasana)
- Sit on a mat, keeping your spine straight.
- Bend your knees, with the soles of your feet touching one another.
- Press the soles tightly together and hold them with your hands.
- Stay in this pose for 1 to 5 minutes; don’t forget to inhale and exhale while doing this asana.
Target Area: Hips, Groin and Thighs
If you’re looking for the Yoga poses to reduce hips, then this asana is for you.
- Lie down on your tummy with your both palms facing the floor.
- Inhale; lift your both legs up to 45 degrees without bending your knees.
- Now, lift your upper body and hands in such a way that you need to balance all your weight on your tummy. Doing so will stretch your abdominal muscles.
Target Area: Hips, stretches Leg Muscles
- Sit down on your feet (use a mat) with the knees and calves touching each other.
- Now, stand on your knees and place your hands on the hips.
- Stretch your torso; look above while doing so.
- Next, slowly, hold your heels with your hands.
- Now, stretch your tummy and chest by bending backwards. While doing so, you’ll feel the strain on your arms.
Target Area: This particular yoga pose will burn the fat in all parts of your body.
#12.Ustrasana (The Camel Pose) by Shilpa Shetty
The interesting thing is that this Yoga routine requires only 10 minutes of your time and can be easily performed at any place you desired.
- Stand with both your feet together and palms in front of your chest (folding). Close your eyes and chant the word (mantra) – ‘Om Mitraya Namaha’ while breathing as usual.
- Raise your arms over your head and shoulders while your palms touching each other. Make sure that your abdomen is stretched by leaning backwards. While inhaling, chant the mantra “Om Khagaya Namaha” and then exhale normally.
- Completely bend forward and place your palms at the side of your feet. You should touch your knees with your forehead and exhale deeply in this position. Then chant the mantra ‘Om Suryaya Namaha’ during the posture.
- On the ground, take one leg back and keep your other leg in front with your palms firmly on the floor. With your head raised up, inhale and chant the mantra ‘Om Bhanuvaye Namaha’.
- Now, you can return to the Step 1. Breath normally and chant the mantra ‘Om Bhaskaraya Namaha’.
The above mentioned yoga poses for weight loss will not only help you to burn fat, but also strengthens your muscles, thus giving you a lighter body frame. These yogasanas also reduce constipation, stress and nervous tension, thereby making you live a healthy and tension-free life. Practice these yoga exercises every day for a better living.
GM Diet Exercises for Day 4 to 7 (and afterwards)
B] Cardio Workouts without Weights for Weight Loss
Cardiovascular exercises aka Cardio (in short) helps in increasing the heart rate, thereby boosting the blood flow throughout our body. This cycle is necessary to burn calories and at the same time increase our energy. It even helps in controlling diabetes, especially Type 2 diabetes.
These cardio exercises improve your muscle’s ability to absorb as well as utilize the glucose stored in your blood stream, thereby preventing sudden fluctuations. So, if you want to lead an error-free life, then you should better practice the below cardio workouts starting today.
Currently, dance cardio is the hottest cardio workouts on the fitness front. The main reason beyond its popularity is that you get both a workout plus an artistic release. People who got bored of the regular cardio exercises are trying out these dance cardio moves to match their favorite music. There are different varieties of dance forms, which include aerobic dance, Zumba, hip hop hustle, belly dancing, salsa etc… A 30 minute dance cardio will help you burn up to 300 calories. Use this calculator to find out how many calories you can burn through dancing.
Skipping rope or Jumping rope is one of the extremely effective as well as inexpensive cardio workouts, which you can do at the comfort of your home. It is also said to be the best calorie burning exercise. You can burn up to 220 calories in just 20 minutes by practicing the jumping rope. It doesn’t require huge spaces and can be practiced even while you’re traveling. The skipping rope is so portable that you can fold it and place it in your pocket. This particular cardio workout focuses mainly on the muscles of your lower body, legs and buttocks.
You’ll need the following things to practice skipping:
- A good pair of shoes
- A jumping rope
- A little space to practice the cardio
If you’re a beginner, you may feel a little uncomfortable with the breathing. So, it is highly advised to start with 3 to 5 minutes if you’re just starting out. And with experience, you can increase the timing of your workout as well as try different jump rope styles.
Burpees are another great cardio exercise that will help you burn around 100 calories in just 10 minutes. However, the workout is very difficult and not many could do it. Interestingly, the Burpees workout covers your full-body as it combines different routines like Push-ups and Squat jumps. Since it targets a large number of muscles in our body, it is suggested for those who’re looking to increase lean muscle mass.
- Lower your body with your hands on the ground (just like the Squats).
- Jump and get back to the same position.
- Immediately, come to the Push-ups position, by moving your feet back.
- Do a single push up and immediately jump back to the Squat position.
- Jump once more.
Repeat these five steps at a stretch for at least 6 to 10 times (with experience). Beginners can do 3 to 4 repetitions.
It is slightly similar to that of Burpees. However, you’ll not jump in this workout.
- Start with a standing position.
- Bend over until your fingertips touch your feet.
- Next, forward your hands until you come into a traditional push-up position.
- Do a single push-up and get back to your bending position.
- This forms a cycle.
Repeat this cycle for at least 5 to 10 times without a gap.
If you’ve a basic idea about the Cardio exercises, then I’m sure you’ve heard about the Squat jumps, which is included in almost all types of cardio routines. This particular workout helps in toning the muscles in your legs and also promotes the development of lean muscle mass, thereby letting you burn more fat.
- Start the workout by keeping your feet shoulder width apart and sitting in a squat position.
- Jump up as high as you can and return back to the squat position. This forms a cycle.
Repeat the cycle at a stretch for at least 15 to 20 jumps. Rest for a minute or two and repeat the cycle. You can do this as long as you’re comfortable.
This is another interesting cardio workout that targets your entire body. Do a simple 10 minute jumping jacks and you’ll burn 100 calories for sure. This special routine will help in strengthening your leg muscles, reduces belly and also perfect for losing arm fat.
- Stand straight with arms by your side and feet together.
- Jump up by stretching your legs outwards and your arms above your head touching each other (clap them).
- Land and get back to the starting position. This forms a cycle.
Repeat this cycle at a stretch for at least 25 to 30 times. With a gap of 30 seconds between the cycles, do 3 to 5 cycles for better results.
This is one of the best whole body cardio workouts which can be done at home or the gym. This exercise targets your legs, butt and ABS. Since this combines both cardio and core muscle strengthening, you can burn more calories even after you’ve stopped exercising.
- Stand with your feet together.
- Slowly lift your left leg to your hip-height while bending your right knee and raise your left arm to the side.
- At the same time, swing your right arm across your body.
- Now, switch the sides as fast as you can.
This forms the pendulum.
Are you looking for the best cardio workouts to increase flexibility? Then the side lunges are for you. It helps in toning your butt, quadriceps, abdomen and hamstrings.
- Stand straight with your hands at your waist and feet hip-width apart.
- Lower your body to the right side while bending your right knee.
- Go back to the starting position and do the same towards the left side.
- Return to the starting position. This forms a cycle.
Try to do at least 10 cycles at a stretch.
Spot jogging or Jog in Place or Indoor Jogging; whatever you call this cardio, but it is the easiest cardio workout that can be practiced daily without hitting the Gym. You can burn up to 270 calories if you spot jog for 30 minutes. This exercise mainly targets your leg muscles.
- Start with a light jog until your body warms up.
- Increase the pace gradually and raise your knees as high as you can while jogging. Don’t forget to engage your hands while you jog.
If you’re a beginner, do it for at least 3 minutes. As you get experience, you can go up to 5 to 8 minutes at a stretch.
It is one of the best cross-lateral exercises that tone your ABS and back muscles. Since the movements performed in this exercise resembles that of walking, you can include the ‘cross crawl’ workout as a warm-up before you start jogging or running too.
- Stand with your feet slightly apart and arms by your side.
- Raise your arms; bring your right knee up and your left elbow should touch the right knee.
- Return to the starting position.
- Now, bring your left knee up and this time your right elbow should touch it.
- This forms a cycle.
Try to practice this cycle for at least 20 to 30 times without any gap.
That’s all friends! Try to include these top 10 weight loss cardio workouts in your daily exercise regime and lose weight at a much faster pace.
C] Best Exercises to lose Under Arm Fat without Dumbbells
This ‘arm fat’ problem is very common these days in both boys and girls. Girls want to look fab with toned and slim arms while guys like to show-off their huge muscles. These saggy arms make your arms look much bigger and so you won’t be able to go sleeveless or carry them in a slim fit dress.
The fat stored in your arm region is very tough to lose through dieting. You’ll need to perform some targeted exercises to reduce upper arm fat. In this article, we have discussed the best workouts to tone your arm muscles.
You can either use the light weight dumbbells (1kg) or simply pick up a 2 liter water or drink bottle to perform this weight lift exercise. Do ensure that you’re not using weights beyond your capability; else you’ll end up with muscle pains.
By keeping your arms straight, lift the weights or bottle with your hands over your head. This will be your starting position. From there, lower and bring the weights up behind your back. Try to do at least 3 sets comprising 20 repetitions each. You can take 1 min rest between the sets.
P.S: With experience, you can increase the weights as well as the sets for maximum results. This special workout is very effective in getting rid of your arm fat.
This particular exercise is one of the fastest ways to lose arm fat. As the name resembles, you’ll need to move your hands like how the scissor works.
Stand straight and lift both of your hands to your shoulder height. Move your hands to their appropriate sides and bring them back to your front by overlapping the left hand with the right one, just like the scissor. Next time, overlap your right hand with the left one. Try to perform this workout for at least 30 times daily for best results.
Img credit: womenshealthmag.com
Start with a 1kg weights or 2 liter water bottle in your right hand, arms bent in the shape of a wide ‘W’. Straighten & extend your right arm up, twisting it in such a way that your palm faces the ground. Go back to the starting position. This particular exercise targets biceps and shoulders, thus helps you in eliminating fat arms. Try to perform 3 sets of 10 reps each and then switch to the other sides.
In order to perform this exercise, you’ll need either a bed or strong chair or anything that is strong and is good on the ground. Don’t choose soft items like Sofa for this workout as they will make it hard to perform this arm toning exercise.
Make sure you’ve enough space in front of the item in order to perform this exercise. By keeping your arms, shoulder width apart, face your body away from the item. Next, place your hands on it and move few steps away from the item (chair or bed). This will be your starting position. Now, push yourself down by bending the hands, aiming to touch the ground. Return back to your normal position. Try to do at least 3 sets of 20 repetitions each.
Like you already know, these are the regular push up exercises which you’ll have to perform on the ground with your hands in front of you. If you’re a beginner, you can use your knees and hands to perform this exercise. Once you’ve gained some experience, you can then use your hands and toes.
This exercise will help in strengthening your muscle to the maximum. Try to do at least 3 to 4 sets of 10 repetitions each for best results.
In this exercise, you should use either a table or counter with strong surface. Instead of doing push ups on the ground with the floor as the support, you’ll have to lean your body with your hands on the item to perform this workout. Like the other exercises, you’ll need to perform 3 sets of 20 reps each.
All the above mentioned arm toning exercises give you the best results when performed daily without fail. It is definitely possible to lose arm fat in just a week if you dedicate at least 30 minutes of your time to perform these arm fat burning exercises daily.
Note: With experience, you can increase the sets as well as the weights and maximize your results.
D] Scientific 7 Minute HIIT Workout
The beauty of any exercise routine is to burn excess calories by performing the workouts. However, you’ll have to spend more time in order to burn those calories. Say for example, if you jog continuously for 30 minutes, then you’d burn 100 calories. This particular disadvantage resulted in the invention of the HIIT workout a.k.a High Intensity Interval Training.
This means you’ll have to exercise with high intensity for less time and thus spend more calories than that of the normal exercises.
Today, let us discuss the most popular seven minute workout that helps you burn more calories in less time.
In this 7 minute workout, you’ll have to perform 12 different exercises deploying only body weight, a wall and a chair.
According to Chris Jordan, the director of exercise physiology at the Human Performance Institute in Orlando, Fla, it has been proved scientifically that HIIT or high intensity interval training provides the same or even more benefits of the prolonged training but in less time span. [Source]
This total HIIT workout session lasts for 7 minutes while each exercise should be practiced for at least 30 seconds with a 10 seconds rest between each step.
This seven minute workout video was created by the LifeHack Team. If you’re not able to follow the animated version, you can watch the below video where real people perform the HIIT workout in just 7 minutes.
Most Common Exercise & Diet Myths
Internet is flooded with loads of information about Weight management, nutrition and body building but most of the webmasters who manage those websites doesn’t really know try those tips but just write them without knowing the truth behind them. So, today we’d like to share our thoughts about different exercise and diet myths which you might be wrong about.
People who blindly follow these myths may not see the results as they’re not trying them because someone on the web has said it as a myth. So, in this guide we’ve gathered some valuable information from the fitness experts so that you can know what is right and which is false.
Most Common Exercise Myths
Wrong! Many fitness experts and studies suggest that stretching after you performed an exercise is beneficial and not before the workout. If you stretch before a workout, then you may destabilize your muscle which isn’t advised.
However, you can perform Yoga exercises or normal warmups before working out.
Wrong! Crunches are actually meant for making your abdominal muscles bigger, but they’ll not appear until you lose your belly fat.
The best way to shed fat from your belly is to do Cardio along with a proper diet as it will help in losing fat on your entire body.
The secret of weight loss is to eat less calories and burn more calories so that your body will use the excess fat as a source of energy.
Absolutely Not! While exercising, your body will use the fat as the energy source and in the same time you’ll get some muscle as a result of the exercise. But, many people mistake that their fat is being converted into muscle.
Testosterone plays the major part in muscle growth. Usually males will have 20x more testosterone than females and so the girls will only lose their body fat and tone their muscles if they’ve undergone weight training.
Most Common Diet Myths
Completely False! Experts actually suggest that eating 1 or 2 hours before working out is beneficial as you’ll need energy and protein to be able to exercise well, burn fat and build muscle.
Cutting out an entire food group is not beneficial for any human being as it will induce in the deficiency of iron in our body. Vegetarian diet plan may be good for cleansing and weight loss but you won’t get the required macro-nutrients solely from veg only diet. So, it is better to follow a diet which includes a portion of non-veg as well.
A Calorie is a calorie no matter in what form you’re taking it. So, even if you eat too much of healthy foods, you’re likely to put on weight for sure. So, better stick to the small meals multiple times a day to stay healthy.
Normally, all the fruits will be gathered from the farms and are kept in storage for a longer period before they hit the supermarkets. In this span, they lose some vitamins, especially Vitamin C. But, frozen fruits keep all the vitamins intact and so it is better to have frozen fruit.
Tip: If you bring home a bucket of fruits to have for the whole week, then it is advised to store them in the refrigerator rather than leaving outside to keep the remaining vitamins intact until you eat them.
People normally tend to eat more during the nights than the daytime because they don’t find enough time to eat during the morning times. But, people who eat more irrespective of the time and take rest tend to gain some weight for sure. That is why the impression that we gain weight if we eat late is created.
Tip: It is advised to eat more during the day & less during the night because in the day time we’ll have some work to do and the calories we gain will automatically be burned.
That’s all Friends! We’ve tried to cover the most popular myths about Exercising and Dieting in this guide.
At the end, we’d like to share one important point – “Separate your eating quantities into multiple portions throughout the day and you’ll never gain weight again”.
Perform these GM Diet Exercises even after completing the General Motors diet and lead a healthy life 🙂