The Cabbage soup diet is an extreme weight loss diet that is designed for overweight individuals to lose 10 pounds (4.5 kg) of weight in a week without adding any extra efforts like exercising to your daily routine. In this diet regime, you’re required to consume a low-calorie cabbage soup multiple times a day for 7 days along with a list of suggested foods.
In general, most of the diet programs to lose weight may take some time to show results. Only in some low carb diets like the GM diet, the results may be seen quickly (in a week or so). Here I would like to add a point that the General Motors diet is also known as the Cabbage soup diet in some countries. Both the diets are same, except their names. So, don’t get confused with the terms.
Will the Cabbage Soup Diet Help with Losing Weight?
Unlike the other fad diets which emphasizes on extreme limiting of food intake, the GM diet plan says otherwise. You’re not required to go on a hunger strike to lose weight. You can eat as much as you want, but with an exception that the foods you consume should be the list of suggested foods for that particular day.
Example: If it is day 1 of the diet plan, then you can eat unlimited quantities of fruits (excluding banana) along with the cabbage soup. But, you should not include other varieties of foods like vegetables, milk, chicken, etc.… on the first day. Likewise, separate rules should be followed each day depending on the program.
Benefits of the Cabbage Soup for Weight Loss
- Since the soup is high in fiber and low in calories, it is generally prescribed to obese patients. There are around 20 calories for every 100 grams of the soup, but provides more than 53% of the DA of C vitamin (recommended dietary allowance) every day. The fruits on days 1, 3 and 7 provide vitamins A, C and E. The tomatoes are rich in antioxidant, lycopene. The potatoes and mushrooms are rich in B-complex vitamins. The meat on days 5 and 6 is a rich source of iron and vitamin D. The skimmed milk on day 4 is high in calcium and potassium can be found in bananas.
- The cabbage soup is not prepared using cabbage alone and you’ll also need to add other healthy ingredients such as carrots, tomatoes, celery, green onions, mushrooms, green pepper & leafy vegetables etc… Adding a variety of ingredients not only enhances the taste but also improves the nutritional values of the soup.
- The recipe of the soup is very simple and can be prepared in just 15 minutes (see below for recipe).
- This soup can also be consumed every day, even while you’re not following the diet. I prefer replacing my dinner (last meal of the day) with the nutritious cabbage soup, so that I don’t have to sleep bloated with unhealthy foods.
- Since there is no restriction on the quantity of soup and recommended foods, you’re less likely to be suffered with hunger pains.
- You can give this GM Motors diet a try as it will help you lose about 10 pounds in just 1 week. So, it might be beneficial in kick-starting your weight reduction and also sets a path in transforming to a healthy lifestyle (eating habits).
It is not time consuming to prepare the soup and also very cost effective as the ingredients are inexpensive.
7 Day Cabbage Soup Diet Eating Plan
As I said earlier, you’re allowed to eat selected foods along with the cabbage soup every day. So, don’t try to skip your meals for losing weight as this is the best diet plan to lose 10lbs in a week without going on a hunger strike. Eat to your heart’s content and lose weight effortlessly.
Day 1: You’re allowed to eat all varieties of fruits (except banana) along with cabbage soup and water.
Day 2: Today, you should be eating only vegetables with an exception of Potato for just breakfast. Do not eat fruit today and only drink the soup and enough water. Remember that you can have the vegetable either in raw or cooked form (your choice).
Day 3: Mix of fruits and vegetables. No banana or potato on this day. Soup and water can be consumed.
Day 4: Skimmed milk and bananas. You can eat as many as 6 large or 8 small bananas and 750 ml of skimmed milk per day. When you’re hungry, do have the soup and water.
Day 5: Beef or Chicken or Brown rice and 6 tomatoes. You should drink more water today in order to flush away the uric acid from your body. You can have the meat in soup or grilled form. Have soup at least once this day.
Day 6: It is same as the day 5, but replace tomatoes with vegetables (no potato). The rest of the rules are same.
Day 7: Brown rice, fruits and vegetables. You can prepare brown rice with sprouts & veggies for better taste. Drink 2 glasses of fruit juice per day and have soup at least once.
P.S: You should drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water every day as it will help in flushing out harmful impurities from your body, thereby helping you lose more weight.
Day 8 and Beyond: The cabbage soup diet should not be followed for more than 7 days at a stretch. Since, this is a low-fat, high fiber diet, it is advised to repeat this diet only after a gap of 1 week for better weight loss results. Meanwhile, you can follow the 1500 calorie meal plan in order to maintain your lost weight.
Cabbage Soup Recipe: How to Prepare?
Like I said before, preparing the cabbage soup is pretty easy and takes just 15 minutes to serve.
- Cabbage: 1/4 slice; chopped into small pieces
- Onions: 1/2
- Celery: 1 rib
- Carrot: 1/2 sliced
- Tomatoes: 2 small or 1 large
- Garlic cloves: 2; thinly sliced
- Mushrooms: 2 (sliced); optional
- Beans: 3 or 4
- Coriander leaves: As you like them
- Olive oil: 1 teaspoon
- Rock salt and Black pepper: For taste
- Water: As required
Cabbage Soup Preparation
- Take a pressure cooker and heat the Olive oil.
- Now, add the garlic cloves, onions and fry them until they turn golden brown. Follow with the rest of the ingredients (no particular order).
- Once you’re done with frying, pour enough water so that all the vegetables are immersed properly.
- Now, add some salt for taste.
- Put the lid on and wait for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Leave it for few minutes until the pressure is completely gone. Take the lid out, pour the soup into a bowl, add some pepper and lemon juice for taste and serve hot.
You can also add some sprouts to enhance the taste of the soup, but don’t go overboard as they contain calories.
That’s all friends! Follow the GM diet aka cabbage soup diet plan without cheating (skipping meals or replacing with unhealthy snacks) and you’ll definitely lose those extra pounds within a very short period of time.