GM Diet Plan: Lose Weight Quickly in a WeekThe GM Diet Plan is currently one of the world’s popular low-carb diets. It is claimed to help you lose weight quickly, up to 15 pounds (7 kgs) in a single week.
The General Motors Diet is also free and you don’t have to purchase any diet books, expensive foods or supplements in order to follow the 7 days diet plan.
But does the GM Motors diet actually work? In this article, we shall find out everything about the diet plan in depth.
What is GM Diet?The General Motors Diet is a 7 day weight loss program developed by the GM Motors Corp to help keep their employees fit and healthy. It was developed by the GM Motors in collaboration with the FDA and US Department of Agriculture. They’ve even tested it at the Johns Hopkins Research Center in 1985 before giving it a final approval.
Ever since the employees started getting benefited from the positive effects of the diet, it became very popular throughout the world with different names – ‘the gm diet’, ‘the cabbage soup diet’, and ‘the sacred heart diet’.
It is a seven-day eating plan where people will be consuming suggested food groups on each day. By following the diet for a week, you’ll not only lose weight, but also put your body through a detoxification process (getting rid of toxins/impurities/wastes from your body).
Most of the foods suggested on this diet contain water and when you consume enough water per day in addition to these foods, your body will enter the detoxification mode and initiate rapid fat loss.
People who’ve successfully completed the General Motors diet will no longer find the fast foods appealing, which is a good sign. This is because their body gets used to eating healthy and that motivates them to stay on a healthy lifestyle forever.
Fortunately, unlike the other diets, this diet is not too restrictive. There are several modified versions of the GM diet, which include – Vegetarian and Indian version.
Total calorie intake during these 3 days period would be roughly 1000 to 1200 calories per day.
From the 4th day till 7th, you’ll be eating some protein rich foods along with some carbs in the form of brown rice, bananas, milk etc…
The proponents of this diet claim that you can repeat this diet multiple times with a gap of 5 days until you reach your target weight.
Bottom Line: Most of the weight is lost during the first 3 days and you’ll see a little less weight loss on the remaining days. Overall, people who follow the diet strictly would see a loss of 10 to 17 pounds, depending on several factors like age and metabolism.
According to a recent study, the General Motors 7 day diet chart proves to be effective in getting rid of those excess pounds at a much faster rate, i.e. at least 10 pounds (4 Kilos) a week. Whereas, the normal weight loss diets will only help you to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week, which makes the GM diet plan more powerful than the other fad diets.
All this diet includes is raw fruits, raw/boiled vegetables and reduced intake of meat in those 7 days of the diet.
In order to increase the effectiveness of the 1 week diet, the experts suggest that you should supplement your diet with a regular exercise routine which just takes 10 minutes of your daily routine. This is because if you work out for at least 10 minutes every day, then your body’s metabolism would be improved, thus letting you shed more weight in the same 7 day span.
However, it is only advised to practice low-intensity workouts like the Yoga and lightweight exercises, because you’ll be having less strength (due to low carbs) to perform such strenuous activities while on the low carb diet.
Just the night before starting the diet, have a wholesome dinner as you’ll have enough strength to start the gm diet without any hunger pangs. This one tip has helped many people complete the diet successfully without dropping in the middle.
Note: This is just an overview of the 7 day meal plan. Detailed day wise meal plans are provided in their respective pages. Click on the respective day # below for full day menu.
What to Eat on Day 1:
You can eat all varieties of fruits, except bananas on the first day. There is no limit on the quantity of fruits you can consume today. For better weight loss results on the GM Motors diet, it is recommended that you eat lots of melon today. It would give a huge boost to your goal.
What to Eat on Day 2:
Today, you can have all varieties of vegetables (no fruits) in either raw or cooked form. No restriction on the quantity. But, the potato should be limited to breakfast. It provides your body with enough carbohydrates (energy) for the whole day. On the other hand, you get all the essential nutrients and fiber from the vegetables. Fortunately, they’re all low in calories. So, eat to your heart’s content.
What to Eat on Day 3:
Today is a blend of day 1 and 2. You can eat both fruits and veggies on this day, except bananas and potatoes. Since you’re already getting carbs from fruits, you can avoid potatoes. By this day, your body is all prepared to start burning the extra pounds that were accumulated all these years through eating junk foods.
What to Eat on Day 4:
On the fourth day of the diet, you can eat bananas and milk. The restriction actually starts from this day onward. You’re allowed to eat up to 8 small or 6 large bananas and 3 glasses (250 ml each) of milk (skim milk preferred) on this day. While the bananas are rich in Potassium and sodium, you get calcium from the milk.
What to Eat on Day 5:
Today is a big deal for the non-vegetarian diet followers as they can have beef/chicken/fish along with tomatoes. You’re allowed to eat 6 whole tomatoes and two 10 oz portions of meat. There is no alternative for the tomatoes and all of them have to be eaten. You get fiber from tomatoes, which help in digestion. Fortunately, you don’t have to eat all the beef. Just go with your choice. The meat will provide iron and protein.
If you’re a vegetarian dieter, you can replace the meat with cottage cheese or brown rice, and 6 tomatoes.
P.S: If you don’t like the tomatoes raw, prepare the tomato soup aka power soup with 6 tomatoes and have it instead.Since, you’re getting extra protein on this day, it is suggested to increase your water intake by 2 glasses i.e., 10 to 12 glasses a day. Water helps your body cleanse itself of the uric acid.
What to Eat on Day 6:
Beef and Vegetables. You can skip tomatoes on this day. Two 10 oz portions of meat (chicken/beef/fish) and unlimited quantities of veggies (no potatoes).
Vegetarian GM diet followers can replace meat with cottage cheese (Indian paneer) and vegetables.
By this day, you would feel a lot of difference in your appearance and body weight. You also get to enjoy this diet more.
What to Eat on Day 7:
On the last day of the GM diet plan, you can eat brown rice, fruit juice and unlimited quantity of vegetables. I prefer preparing the brown rice pulao with sprouts & tomatoes on this day, as it is both delicious and nutritious.
After following the seven days diet successfully, you’ll notice that your weight is reduced by a minimum of 10 pounds when compared to the day before starting the diet. Your body has completely cleansed and flushed out all the impurities, thereby making you lighter than before.
Bottom Line: The first 3 days of the General Motors diet have no restriction on the quantity. However, you’re not allowed to eat more than the suggested quantity on the remaining days.
For example, you can swap regular milk for soy milk, figs for bananas, beef for chicken or fish, beef for cottage cheese etc…Unfortunately, there is no better alternative to tomatoes. It is a must on this diet.
Along with the suggested foods, you can have the Green tea (without sugar or sweetener) (or) Black Coffee (w/o sugar) (or) Sprouts (in limited quantities) (or) Nuts (handful). Choose either 1 of these additional foods per day to stay under the calorie limits.
Stay away from beans (kidney, lima, pinto etc..) as they’re high in calorie content.
All junk foods, white rice, flour, pastas, sugar etc…are not allowed.
groceries beforehand so that you don’t get deviated from the diet due to lack of food choices at home.
- Fruits: Watermelon, Cantaloupes), Guava (as many as you want), Apple, Pear, Oranges, Grapefruit, Berries, Kiwi, Pomegranates, 8 small Bananas (Only on Day 4)
- Vegetables: 2 small Potatoes (Only for breakfast on day 2), Cucumber, Lettuce, Cabbage, Broccoli, Spinach, Carrots, Cauliflower, Tomatoes, Bell Pepper, Beetroot
- Meat & Dairy: Cottage Cheese (Indian Paneer), Skinless Chicken/Beef/Meat, Tuna Fish, Skim Milk (750ml)
- Others: Brown Rice
- Improved digestion: Along with to the fruits and vegetables, you’re also advised to drink enough water per day (8 to 10 glasses). Water consumption not only promotes faster digestion, but also help you lose weight quickly. Since you’re drinking enough water per day, your body sees no need for holding water (water weight). So, if you’re suffering from constipation issues for a long time, this GM plan is for you. It promotes regular bowel movements and helps get rid of excess waste from your body.
- Weight Management: Since, all the foods suggested on this diet menu are low in carb content and high in nutritional value, you’ll be losing weight naturally. Most of these fruits and vegetables help you burn more calories than they provide for your body. Even if you don’t want to lose weight, you can still follow this GM diet chart to maintain your overall health. Some enthusiasts follow this 1 week diet once every 2 months to reap the benefits of detoxification.
- Brighter Skin: The followers of this diet see a clear visual change in their skin complexion after completing the diet. This is because of the foods consumed during the week as well as the water. Even on normal days, if you want your skin to be brighter, just include fruits and vegetables in your diet along with 2-3 liters of water. You’ll not only stay healthy, but also look beautiful.
- Muscle Weakness: Since, this a low carb diet plan, some followers experience sudden muscle weakness mainly during the first 2-3 days. This is mainly because of no protein intake on these days and will subside from the 4th day onward. In order to overcome this problem, it is advised to follow lightweight exercises like Walking, Yoga and Simple Cardio on the first three days. Exercise on this diet is not compulsory but recommended as it would help you achieve better results without worrying about any side effects.
- Dehydration: The second problem which most people face is dehydration and incessant thirst. That is the reason why it is highly advised to consume at least 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.
- Headache: Not everyone, but some people may experience headaches initially. It will be resolved once your body gets used to the new dietary habits. Here too, drinking water helps in reducing the headaches.
Follow this guide to know how many calories you should eat per day to maintain your weight. If your BMR says 2000 calories, then you should aim to eat 2000 cal per day to maintain your weight. If you want to lose weight further, then reduce the calories to 1500 cal per day. This would create a calorie deficit of 500 cal per day, thereby helping you lose weight without exercise.
How Many Times Can I Follow this Diet in a Month?Since, this is a low carb diet, it is not advised to follow it continuously for more than a week. In case you wanted to lose further weight, then it is highly advised to leave a gap of at least 5 to 7 days before starting another GM session. Meanwhile, during the gap, just follow the 1500 calorie or the 1200 calorie meal plan. You can repeat this process as long as you reach your goal weight.
Ingredients: (1 serving)
- Cabbage: ¼ piece
- Tomatoes: 1 large or 2 small
- Carrots: 1 small
- Onions: ¼ piece
- Green Pepper: ½
- Celery: 1 stalk (optional)
- Red Chillies: 1 small
- Lemon: ½ slice (for additional flavor)
- Salt: ½ tsp
- Water: As required
Cabbage Soup Preparation
Chop of all the veggies into tiny pieces and add them into a pressure cooker. Pour enough water to fill up the veggies in the pan. Add salt and pressure cook the soup for up to 3 whistles. Switch off the stove and take the soup into a bowl. Add some pepper or lemon juice for additional flavor and serve hot.
- Brown Rice: ½ cup (150 to 200ml rice cup. Soak the rice in water for atleast 1 hr before cooking)
- Moong Sprouts: ½ cup (soaked in water overnight)
- Chopped Coriander
- Tomatoes: 1 small
- Onion: ½
- Salt and Chili Powder: As required
- Lemon: ½ (for additional flavor)
- Olive Oil: 1 or 2 tsp
Brown Rice Pulao Preparation
Take a bowl (cooker), add Olive oil and fry the onions until golden brown. Next, add water and bring it to boil. While boiling, add the brown rice, sprouts, salt and chili powder. Pressure cook on a medium flame for about 15 minutes or until 3 whistles. Switch off the stove and take the pulao into a plate, sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves, squeeze the lemon and serve hot.
Ingredients: (1 serving)
- Skinless Chicken (or any meat of your choice): ¼ kg (cut into round pieces)
- Olive Oil: 1 tbsp
- Onions: 2
- Tomatoes: 2
- Yellow Bell Peppers: 2
- Green Bell Peppers: 2
- Salt & Pepper: As required
How to Grill Chicken Kebabs?
Skew the chicken pieces and other veggies together with barbecue sticks. Next, rub some olive oil, salt and pepper on all the sides of the ingredients. Place it on a grill or oven and cook until they become tender.
In the absence of a microwave, you can fry them on the stove (open fire).
- Paneer/Cottage Cheese: 200 g (cubed)
- Spinach: 1 cup
- Onions: 1 medium size
- Garam Masala: 1 tsp
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Ginger: ½ inch (crushed)
- Chili Pwder: 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder: 1tsp
- Coriander Powder: 1 tsp
- Turmeric: ¼ tsp
- Salt: As required
How to Cook Tasty Palak Paneer at Home?
Take a pan, add olive oil and sauté the onions, ginger and garlic. Take these into a grinder along with spinach leaves (properly cleaned) and blend them together to get a fine paste. Now, take a non-stick pan and toss the paneer cubes until they turn light-brown. Take them into a separate bowl for now. Add the onion-spinach paste into the pan and add other spices and let it cook on sim mode for a few minutes. And then, add the paneer cubes into the pan and let it cook for few more minutes.
Once done, take it into a bowl and serve hot with lemon slices. You can have this along with brown rice.
- Fish: 3 to 4 fillets
- Olive Oil: 1 tbsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 tsp
- Black Pepper: ¼ tsp
- Lemon Juice: 1 tbsp
- Chopped Coriander: 2 tbsp
How to Bake a Fish at Home?
First, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F or 165 degrees Celsius. Take a bowl and add Ginger garlic paste, black pepper, lemon juice and coriander. Mix it well and dip the fish fillets in this mixture on all the sides.
Now, take a baking tray and coat it with olive oil. Arrange the fish fillets on the tray and place it in the oven. Bake it for 20 minutes and serve hot.
Note: Even though, you’ve lost weight by following the GM diet, it may increase again after you’ve shifted to your regular unhealthy eating habits. So, it is advised to follow a low carb high protein diet in order to maintain a healthy weight.
Disclaimer: The 7 Day GM Diet is a health and fitness blog, where we provide helpful information related to weight loss and health tips. And, all the content on our blog is solely intended for educational purpose. We’re not any medical organization and so it is highly advised to seek the advice from a qualified dietician before trying any diet plans.